Saturday, November 23, 2013

Turn the Beet Around

Last weekend we were invited to 'Friendsgiving' an event hosted by Elsie's original owners. This was a very special occasion as Elsie has not seen them or her brother from another mother-Humphrey-in about 8 months. Besides contemplating what scarf Elsie was going to wear to the reunion, I had to figure out what to bring. I wanted to try out a new recipe that I could possibly use for Thanksgiving at my parents' house next week and found the perfect one to experiment with from Robin Robertson's-Vegan Planet. I love the bright colors of roasted beets and it's a tasty side dish to almost any fall meal.

 Orange Roasted Beets & Shallots with Toasted Almonds & Fresh Mint:
Ingredients:

5 Large beets-scrubbed and quartered (I peeled some of the stringy/rough parts)
4 shallots quartered
2 TBSPN organge juice concentrate
2 TBSPN olive oil
1 TBSPN chopped fresh mint
2 TBSPN toasted chopped almonds
Salt & pepper to taste

Method:

*preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Mix the oil and OJ concentrate together.
2. Mix the OJ/oil dressing with the beets & shallots and place in a large baking dish (I initially thought there were way too many shallots but they shrink). Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cover with foil. I prepared this ahead of time allowing the beets & shallots to marinate for about an hour.
3. Bake for 50 minutes, turning the beets & shallots halfway through.
4. Serve warm garnished with fresh mint and toasted almonds


No comments:

Post a Comment