Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hike to Cataract Falls-November 27, 2013

In preparation for a natural childbirth I wanted to be able to focus on something that was calming and real for me. Last year GK and I hiked to Cataract Falls located in the Marin Watershed. It's probably one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done-incredibly green, mossy, and you're rewarded with amazing waterfalls part of the way through. I decided to claim Cataract Falls as my special place and told GK that we had to make a pilgramage there before the arrival of bebe. After completing some research online (www.bahiker.com), I decided that the short one mile hike strating in Fairfax to the falls was more appropriate in my fragile condition as the route we completed last year totaled about 6 miles. Luckily-dogs are allowed on this trail (must be on leash) so we loaded Elsie up in the Prius and set out for Fairfax the day before Thanksgiving.

We couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather for our hike.

GK checking out the Reservoir.

The almost one mile trail, all uphill, is dotted with waterfalls throughout. Carting along 23 extra lbs. on this hike has its challenges but I was up for it. 

38-week belly shot.

Plenty of little bridges along the route to challenge Elsie's bravery. Unfortunately dogs have to be kept on leash at all times on this trail but Elsie was a good sport. Plus-holding onto her leash while we hiked uphill helped me keep my balance.

We eventually made it to the top without running into a single person. Here GK gives his best mountain man outdoorsy pose. Unfortuntely there hasn't been much rain so the waterfall wasn't as impressive as I remember it but I couldn't deny the beauty and soaked in the sights.

As did Elsie:
Then came the much easier return back to the car...
Feeling like a bit of a badass for completing this short but somewhat challenging hike while I'm 9-months pregnant. GK waited to tell me when we were done that he was hoping that I was getting tired because he was ready for it to end. Keeping my fingers crossed that these images will stay etched in my mind while I prepare for a natural birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment