Monday, April 21, 2014

Donut Farm


Today T and I met up with one of our favorite people for lunch at Donut Farm in Oakland on San Pablo Avenue. Most vegans in the Bay Area are familiar with Pepples Donuts that are served at multiple coffee shops and have their own little kiosk at the Ferry Building in San Francisco. But they also have a restaurant that is open for lunch and brunch on the weekends-just another reason to relocate to the East Bay. I've been multiple times for their awesome brunch but never for lunch so Donut Farm with Rachel it was.
I love their neon vegan sign and sometimes purposely drive down San Pablo Ave. at night just to see it glow.
The restaurant is small but I've never had to wait for a table. Even if you do have to wait you can entertain yourself by looking at all the gorgeous donuts on display. Note-if you arrive later in the day you may want to order your donuts immediately before you sit down at a table because they do run out of the more popular flavors. Also-they make raised donuts (praise The Lord) on the weekends. My friend Lisa and I may or may not have ordered a banana fritter as an appetizer to brunch on one occasion. I've tried many of their flavors-I love the salted caramel and anything with coconut but my favorite is just the boring old plain donut-great with coffee.
The lunch menu is a selection of burgers, sandwiches, and a salad. Rachel and I both chose the tempeh ruben along with an order of fries. The sandwich was salty perfection and if they had the kraut for sale there I would have bought it. The fries were more like wedges and a perfect side to the sndwiches.   Luckily Rachel doesn't like fries (weird) and I had no problem devouring the entire bowl. Unfortunately they were out of coconut ice cream so I'll have to order their milkshake another time. 
In case anyone is reading this-I like the grey shirt (size medium). Donut Farm is also a go to spot for brunch on the weekends but I wold recommend getting there early-like before 10am as it starts to fill up quickly with the local hungover hipsters. They serve the best breakfast burrito I've ever had and the last time I went they had a special where you could pick your protein-it ranged from tofu to tempeh to jackfruit. They also have chicken and waffles, biscuts and gravy or donuts(!), and multiple scrambles to choose from.
Vegan baby & Rachel approve Donut Farm for future meals.

The scoop on taking your little person with you to Donut Farm...

While we were comfortable during both our visits-we purposely went early and were easily able to fit the stroller next to our table-if it's crowded that might be difficult as I mentioned tht the restaurant is on the smaller side. The music can get loud on the weekend which is great for an infant but not so great for a light sleeper. No changing table there but plenty of free, street parking nearby if you need to return to the car for a diaper emergency. The first time I took T I nursed her at the table and felt completely comfortable doing so. We'll definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment