Saturday, September 7, 2013

Steam Trains at Tilden Park


Labor Day weekend marks some very important events-primarily, Fantasy Football draft weekend. While I would love to have absolutely nothing to do with football-unfortunately I was born into it as my brothers are obsessed with professional football. It all started in '92 I believe and for a few years I assisted in being the "draft girl" which consisted of me keeping track of the teams like a game show host. I think I was paid in potato salad. With technology and my common sense-this is no longer necessary. A few years ago me and some of the football widows started getting together for brunch on Sunday. With the addition of many children who are now at the age where they cannot sit still at a table-this is much more challenging. This year the meet up was at the Steam Trains in Tilden Park.

That's right-a real steam train that is primarily geared towards children. But imagine my excitement when I found out that DOGS RIDE FOR FREE. GK and I had been discussing taking Elsie and this was a perfect opportunity since we were the only people in the group that don't have a child. (*While GK does like football, he is not obsessed).


 GK was not confident that Elsie would be willing to ride the train and said he would stay back with her if needed but I told them both-we came to ride the trains and we're riding them. Decked out in her red bandana you can see Elsie's keen interest in the caboose.

Most people choose to ride in the open carts in the front but that would have required us to pick up a 60 lb. dog so we headed to the back of the train where you ride in little covered cars. Elsie immediately jumped right in. The train twists through gorgeous Tilden Park in the Berkeley hills. Elsie and Gk were mesmerized.

I don't know who loved the train ride more-Elsie or GK. GK wants to build one in the backyard now.

Elsie was very popular on the train. Obviously.

I'd like to thank the above for motivating us all to meet up for this adventure (from L to R): Sienna; Shane; Morgan; Brady; Quinn; Lilly; & Evan. Come to think of it, I should have put Elsie in this pic.

 (almost 26 weeks-looks more like a beer belly than a baby)
Afterward we headed to Lake Anza to relax on the lawn. This proved to be a disaster just one day later. We think we have figured out that Elsie's skin allergies are exacerbated by grass. As I type poor thing is drugged up on Benadryl, coned, with her paws doused in olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment