Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Exploratorium-August 24, 2013

 Yesterday GK & I decided to take BART into the city to visit the newly relocated Exploratorium. Anyone who grew up in the bay area probably went to the original Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts as part of a school field trip. This year it relocated to Pier 15 which makes it much easier to get to from the East Bay. Before heading in we stopped at the Plant Cafe for an iced decaf soy latte and a vegan chocolate peanut butter cupcake.

Above is a pic GK is taking of me squatting out front in a twisted type mirror. My Bradley Method teacher advises to squat often so I have worked this in to every day routines-squatting to pet Elsie, squatting to peel vegetables over the compost bin, squatting to readjust my new maternity pants on the Embarcadero.

The Exploratorium is  described as a "learning laboratory" filled with hands on exhibits to encourage learning. Understandably-the place is filled with children which was a bit overwhelming at times. At one point GK complained-"That little girl is hogging the drum set!" I told him that's what little kids do. Inside I was thinking that she seriously did need to give someone else a turn. Luckily we had some room to take these really cool Andy Warhol type pics.
This experiment is a window where you and another person sit across from one another, match your faces up, and slowly change the light setting resulting in a combination of your faces. We saw two sisters playing around with it and their end result was very cute. I figured that GK and I could get a possible glimpse of what the baby may look like. Terrifying.
Just a reminder that we are actually very good looking people.

 My 24 week belly shot with Treasure Island and the Bay Bridge in the background.
 
After a 6 mile road/trail run that morning coupled with walking to and around the Exploratorium, I was beat and took a little break on the observatory. Shortly after this pic was taken, I returned home for a nap at 5pm-only to wake for about and hour and a half to watch an episode of Breaking Bad and eat Indian food in our guest bed.

If you can-go to the Exploritorium. A few recommendations-purchase your tickets online, if you can't (we didn't), no worries-we still got a discount for living locally. I got an additional discount after I told him I'm a Social Worker that works with children (teachers get an automatic discount). There was also this amazing exhibit about mental health that we stumbled upon that will be there until next spring. Also-if you're not into some little girl hogging the drum set-Thursday nights they're open from 6-10pm and you must be 18 or over to enter.

2 comments: