Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vegan B.L.A.T. with pesto

Pesto-it's not just for pasta. GK recently developed an appreciation and interest in tempeh so I decided to introduce him to the vegan B.L.A.T. (bacon, lettuce, avocado, & tomato) sandwich after being inspired by the B.L.T. at Herbivore. Since I just made a batch of fresh organic pesto-I decided to add this to the mix and the result was pure heaven.
 Ingredients:
2 slices of bread
3 strips of marinated tempeh
Ripe tomato-sliced
Avocado-mashed
Romaine lettuce
Vegan mayonnaise
Pesto


1. Lightly toast your favorite bread (I prefer sour dough).
2. Fry the tempeh (I like Tofurkey brand tempeh-smokey maple bacon flavored) until lightly browned.
3. Assembly-I prefer the mashed avocado over slices because it helps keep the sandwich "glued" together. Then layer: tomato slices, fried tempeh, lettuce leaf, topped with bread slathered with vegan mayo (Earth Balance or Follow Your Heart are good brands-steer clear of the TJ's brand) mixed with a generous dollop of fresh pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment