Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vegan Pesto

 I recently visited a friend who has an amazing garden that I am insanely jealous of. She offered me a big bag of fresh basil that I happily accepted-partly because the basil I tried to grow this year sucks but also because I love basil. Best thing to do with an abundance of basil? Fresh vegan pesto of course!
From The Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson:
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup of pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups (or more) fresh basil
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Optional: oil packed sun dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, light miso

1. Using a food processor, first grind the garlic, pine nuts, & salt together.
2. Add the basil and process until minced.
3. With the food processor running, slowly add the oil through the feed tube.
4. Store in an airtight container with a light layer of olive oil over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment