Sunday, October 27, 2013

Vegan Breakfast Tacos

I just returned from a quick trip to visit my brother and his fiance in Austin, Texas. Austin cuisine is home to such culinary delicacies like migas, queso, and breakfast tacos. Northern California has yet to truly catch on to the breakfast taco  phenomenon so I attempted to get my fill while in Austin. After just a few days back in Berkeley I was craving those savory, tasty little tacos so I whipped these up with what I had on hand this past Saturday morning.
Ingredients:
Small yellow potato-diced
Yellow onion-quarter, sliced thinly
Olive oil-1 TBSPN.
Tofu-1 package (firm)
Salt/pepper to taste
Tumeric-TSPN.
Red/orange bell pepper-diced (3 miniature)
Cherry tomatoes-10 (sliced in half)
Corn tortillas
Toppings-avocado, vegan sour cream & salsa

1. On a low/medium heat, cook the potato and onion in the oil.
2. When the onion begins to wilt, crumble the tofu into the mixture. I recommend crumbling in large chunks (1 1/2-2 inches) because as the tofu cooks it will break into smaller pieces.
3. Once the tofu is coated in oil, immediately sprinkle the tumeric over the mixture. Add salt/pepper.
4. After about 5 minutes, add the peppers and continue to stir regularly to avoid burning the vegetables.
5. Once the tofu starts to brown (about 10 minutes total cooking time), taste and adjust salt/pepper.
6. Add the cherry tomato halves and allow to cook for 2 more minutes (just to heat the tomatoes to bring out their flavor). Remove the pan from heat.
7. While the tofu mixture is cooking, heat the tortillas, either directly on the flame of your gas stove or wrap in foil and place in the oven on 350 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.
8. Fill each tortilla with a generous scoop of the mixture. Top with sliced avocado, vegan sour cream (I like the Tofutti brand), and salsa (my favorite lately has been La Cascada's roasted salsa that you can find at the local Farmer's Markets in Oakland.Berkeley and luckily at Whole Foods).

1 comment:

  1. I love that no matter what it always goes back to being about food!

    ReplyDelete